Monday, February 9, 2009

Valentines Day Red Heart Medicine Bag



You Are My Heart Native American Valentine Medicine Bag

You Are My Heart Medicine Bags are meant for the protection of relationships: lovers, families, spouses, children, and others. The bags include medicines for this purpose. Sage for purity, sweet grass for joy, cedar for eternity, juniper berries for good health, crystal for abundance, turquoise for protection from above. Sometimes I will add a piece of amber for preservation of the relationship. This is meant for relationships that are troubled. The bag includes two prayers printed on separate pieces of parchment paper. The prayers are as follows: “You are my heart, my life and my treasure. Nothing is more valuable than you. I ask for us to be blessed and kept safe together in joy and harmony.” If this bag is for a family: “My family is my heart, my life and my treasure. Nothing is more valuable than this family. I ask for us to be blessed and kept safe together in joy and harmony.” Both prayers are meant to be used in special times of need or at every new moon to reinforce the medicines. Prayers can be folded and placed in the medicine bag or kept in a separate location. For more information on Medicine Bags, please read my article on the making, keeping and disposal of Medicine Bags. Click here for the article.

You will receive this medicine bag gift wrapped in colored tissue paper with a raffia bow. Each bag is hand painted with permanent archival ink on soft tan colored leather. A piece of turquoise with black glass beads hangs in front of the heart. Two glass beads have been added as extra strength stoppers on the neck cord. The neck cord is extra long. This medicine bag has been made to last and will protect it’s contents. It is appropriate for both men and women. The bag measures approximately 1.75 inches wide by 2.5 inches long.

The artist Paula Bidwell is an Indigenous Healer and while making these medicine bags uses prayer and song to infuse them with healing. When an order comes in she looks over the premade bags until one stands out. If one doesn’t stand out, she makes a new one especially for the buyer. And there is always a slight variance in design.

No comments: